How do you explain the mysteries of Easter to children? The easy answer is, of course, that you don’t. Don’t explain that is, don’t tell them how it is, don’t just read the words. Instead you help them to experience the Easter story in a way that they can relate to.
Experience Easter is a series of reflective workshops, specially developed by TrinityLearning to allow KS2 students to access The Easter Story in a meaningful way. It is also an introduction to mindfulness, using stilling exercises and simple activities to allow the children to consider the emotions involved in Holy Week:
- Palm Sunday – Hopes & dreams
- Maundy Thursday – Serving others
- The Last Supper – Remembering good things
- The Garden of Gethsemane – Fear
- Good Friday – Suffering
- Easter Day – Life after death
Since our first Experience Easter in 2010, over 3000 children and 500 adults have journeyed with us at Trinity Church, Abingdon. The workshops have been used by Beavers and Scouts, teamed with Abingdon Gospel Choir to make a musical evening, as well as becoming parts of church services. Teachers have used the scripts for classroom R.E. and as whole-school events.
Below, we offer all you need to put on your own Experience Easter – the scripts, organisational guidance and paperwork for school visits to church.
- Scripts for the event (pdf)
- Training Notes For Volunteers (pdf)
- Organisational Details For Schools (pdf)
- Risk Assessment (pdf)
- In Class Follow Up Activity (pdf)
- Stickers Sheet for class activity booklet (pdf)
- School Feedback Form (pdf)